Friday, January 16, 2009

Cherry = Gross

Today, Andre' took me to see Dr. Matthew Moore again.  This time I weighed 136 pounds, up 2 pounds from just two weeks ago.  He said that they finally received my results from the gestational diabetes screening test I had in Atlanta at the end of October.  Apparently, my blood sugar was only slightly elevated, meaning that there is a possibility that I never had diabetes in the first place.  Yay.  I am so glad that I didn't change my diet, stress about the baby's health, give myself sugar withdrawal headaches, or any of that crap... Oh, wait... I did all of those things - because my OB nurses in Atlanta said that I DID have diabetes, and that my numbers were "really high."  Ugh. Another reason to steer clear of urban healthcare.

The doctor asked me if I had had anything to eat or drink before the exam. I said that yes, I had 2 McDonald's hashbrowns before taking the test, to which he responded that that could be the reason my numbers were slightly elevated.  So... we decided to go ahead and do the 3 hour glucose tolerance test today to find out for sure. BTW, on the east coast, we call the gas station drinks "Big Gulps" but on the west coast, they are known as "Thirstbusters." Not really important to know, I guess, but if you don't know what a "Thirstbuster" is out here, you get looked at like you're some kind of alien or something.
Andre' had to go back to work... He couldn't sit around and wait for a 3 hour test, so I just hung out in the lobby reading Newsweek and talking on the phone in between needle pricks.  The lab lady had to take my blood 4 times - 1x before the cherry drink, and then 1x an hour for 3 hours.  The cherry drink was disgusting but I managed to gulp it down in under a minute.  About the needle pricks - not my idea of fun, but manageable.  I had to keep my mind on the prized outcome... Andre' told me before he left that if it turns out that I don't have gd, that we would celebrate with a big bowl of icecream! (: What a sweet fella' I married!
At this point, I really don't care so much about having sugary sweets... I am mostly concerned about the effects of gd on my daughter.  I hope that I do not have diabetes because it will put her health at risk later in life.  She is so precious to me - I don't want to see her suffer needlessly because of a pregnancy complication.
Speaking of complications, I am having extreme extreme extreme anxiety now. It is getting so close to her due date, and I am dreading having to go through labor.  I keep having panic attacks, and constantly feel as if I am going to have a heart attack or something. Anna and I could definitely use your prayers right now. Oh, and Andre', too. I know that the new papa-to-be is going through some tough times right now, even if he won't admit to that.