Today Andre' and I went to a SDA church that is just down the road from us. It was very small compared to our home church in Calhoun, but things looked promising. We were greeted at the door by some very lovely people. Then we made our way to the sanctuary - where we caught the tail end of an adult Sabbath school class. The teacher was a pretty funny guy, but I don't think he's the actual teacher of the class.
After Sabbath school, people started filing into the sanctuary. We got some strange looks from people - I like to think it was because we were new people and not because we somehow found ourselves situated onto the "black" side of the church. I don't think that the division was intentional - most of the people sitting on our side were seated there from Sabbath school.
They had special music that day - as they do every week out there - and it happened to be a Ghana group that was singing... in their native language. Ok... I get that people worship God in many different ways, but I do not speak Twi or whatever they were speaking, so I was a little more than confused during much of the service. It was nice to see people so enthusiastically worshipping God, though.
After the service, there was a fellowship potluck. Its theme? "Africa the motherland." We decided not to stay for it.
During our drive home, we decided that although the people were very friendly, this church is just not the right one for us. We are glad that these people celebrate diversity - but at the same time, we are American, and proud of that fact. We are just going to have to keep looking, because Anna needs to have a good church to grow up in. I think that maybe the Calhoun church was so wonderful that our expectations might be a little bit high as a result.
I am reading the Bible to Anna daily. I really want for her to have a strong relationship with God. I know that He is taking good care of her while she is inside of me, and I would be so happy if I could find a good church to dedicate her to God's service in. Please pray!
